27 March, 2015

kenosis

we were all created in the image and likeness / temples



i feel myself expanding

i smile and my heart dribbles out of my mouth
i choke it back, swallow
my teeth like fish bones
press my lips together
nod politely and wait

i stare at myself for a while

how the light hits the rungs of my ribs
under my clavicles, pretend
nothing curves or bellows or bulges
i look at my twin in the mirror
and think, she is going to die
i'm going to kill her

i dig a grave in her body with my hands

reach into her mouth and pull her out
and again and again the choir of angels
sing in the background as the body shakes
the body, traitorous, turns on itself
heaves, unwilling but obedient
an inside feeling, when the angels hit 
their crescendo
when their voices reach
the place that lightning strikes from
until the emptiness is light
i rinse out her broken mouth
i scrub her fish bone teeth 

light transcends her skin

my blood feels hollow
she looks at me through the mirror
this cannot be the way God made me
she is going to die
i'm going to kill her