13 April, 2013

12: To you, finally.

My entire blog is just a bunch of day 12's collected over time. This is just making it official, I guess. 

You carved yourself into me the way a river feathers
its way into the earth: tracing and grazing and slowly sweeping.
Your name on my legalities
Your name behind my math notes
Your name in cursive on my open palms

You carved into me casually and without intent
without consent, without knowing --
I adore(d) you so.

Your words sewn into my dresses, I
wear them behind my t-shirts, I
wrap them around my fingers and write
about you, of and about you. 

I remember the deep blue-black bruise of night,
the feeling echoing in my chest, as if I had
jumped off the edge of the earth and landed
in your arms -- and somehow it 
didn't kill me (though it came close).  

The canyons you've created are hollow, curving
and chipping and falling from such
great heights no one could have
thought goodness could etch out something as 
dry and broken and beautiful -- 
I like to hear you genuinely laughing. 

Please drop in once in a while to
say something funny and
remind me that 
I'm not wandering 
alone. 

It's okay.