09 April, 2013

6: Goodbye.

I skipped day 5 because who needs that kind of stress. :)) 

I kept writing things that never got to you --

and they piled up behind the gym memberships
and seminar notifications
I complained to put it off,
maybe I would forget altogether.



You were golden behind a glass window;
you were baby blue
you were the sky
you were faded jeans with grass stains and cold coffee
in the afternoons
and no drawer
or closet door
or container van
or marine vessel
could ever hold you (back)

And no kisses or hugs
or rocking back and forth in the middle of a hallway
or thoughtless slow dancing to grade school love songs
or hands on shoulders
or thoughts on thoughts in thoughts with thoughts
could ever compress everything I have
wanted as much as
the way you look at me.

And so, no goodbye would suffice
so no goodbyes were said;
you just looked away.

And I understood,
and I understand,
though I wish I didn't have to.

And as soon as your memory becomes as flat and as pale and as foldable
as page-pressed flowers
and you stop being the place the sun rises and sinks
smiling between my thoughts,
I promise,
I will look away (too).