04 April, 2013

4: Frank Exchange of Views


You spoke too softly the first time we met
        It was like seeing your cells before seeing your skin
You were so many fragments of so many wholes
        Now I see your all pieces in the way you become and they break me

You pushed my world off the edge of the universe
I didn’t know what I was supposed to do with myself                          
You were so composed, I wondered what would tear you down
                Now I see that was something you could do yourself            


Living together wass a social experiment
        We were an exercise in the human capacity to tolerate
I did love you, should anyone ask (should you ever wonder)
        But not true enough to change

I hate how you shouted all the time, I rationalized
you love me you love me you love me  
I wanted to dissolve in your heat
Instead I melted in your hands               

You’re too much for someone who's  barely ever had enough
        When you fight, you’re insincere
And my hands are just too heavy
        And my mind slips and I forget you’re just as fractured as I am

I love you and I am so afraid
There is a brutality with which this is so,               
And I feel I am hurting me more than you ever could
Can you taste the chaos in my quiet –    

I admit that there are parts of me I keep in a cage,
        I hurt you so often, I don’t know how to stop;
I bleed my sins into the bath water –
        I am so sorry
        I am so sorry
        I am so sorry

I love you and you are so afraid
That I will never leave you –  
I would abandon myself to save you                                                

There is nothing good here.
        I am so sorry.

You ravaged my world, I am                                      
d    i       s    pl    a c  e        d.                                
        
        You are so stupid. 
                                I am less sorry.

I love you.
        I trust you                         (though I’m trembling).
It won’t happen again                                  

                It will.
                                Run.

I can’t.